Monday, January 18, 2016

Half marathons... Not all it's cracked up to be...

Wait wait before all my running friends freak out let me explain... 

As of yesterday I have completed my 5th half marathon and all 5 of them give me a major sense of pride and accomplishment but for ME, each one was harder and harder to finish and took longer and longer to finish. Why am I writing this? Because I want to let you all know some of the real feelings for me and I'm sure other social media newbie runners. 

With all the social media posts and people talking about FOMO (fear of missing out) and the constant hype around race registrations I'm here to tell you... It's ok to not sign up for all the races and all the medals and especially all the Halfs. There is NOTHING WRONG with doing a 5k or 10k. Crossing any finish line should be celebrated! Accomplish any distance and any time! 

Don't feel that your running accomplishments don't count or don't mean as much because you ONLY did 1 race or only did a 10k. Stop comparing yourself to others. And that advice is totally for me too! 

For me, many training runs haven't happened (yes totally stupid and totally my fault) but the more and more races I did and still crossed the finish line the more I felt well I know I COULD finish so it's ok. It's NOT ok! If you are going to take the big leap to do any race that is considered longer for YOU ( for some that could be jumping from a 5k to a 10k, others to a half, some a full) you have to train! But again, because of all the hype around the races and all the encouragement saying oh it's ok, you'll do great! I still went for it. 

With all these recent realizations and especially after how I felt both physically and emotionally after yesterday's half I have now decided that  
I will not do any more half marathons until I have been able to spend the proper time to train and be able to run the majority of the half so I can not just complete it but running in a race should be fun and not about stressing out over being ahead of the balloon ladies or getting injured. 

That's all I wanted to say. This post doesn't apply to everyone but I know there is probably a few people out there feeling the pressure of signing up for a  big race prior to actually being ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment